CLICK HERE to access the Online Portal for CE Applications
All applications must now be submitted using the online portal. We have implemented a paperless system to provide enhanced security for our customers and to conserve valuable resources.
Information for Ohio PTs and PTAs:
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING REGARDING LICENSE RENEWAL:
1) PTs require 24 CEUs and PTAs require 12 CEUs, both in a two-year renewal period.
2) Courses used for license renewal must have Ohio approval numbers. Check for Ohio approval numbers and course expiration dates prior to taking a course.
3) You can take MORE than the required number of courses, but only courses with Ohio approval numbers may be used for license renewal.
4) Companies and other associations choose whether or not to submit a course for approval in Ohio. OPTA only reviews what is submitted.
5) Please note that due to the high standards for license renewal, Ohio does NOT have CE reciprocity with any other state.
6) The application review/approval process may take up to 60 days to complete; please plan your application(s) accordingly. Incomplete applications will be delayed until all necessary documentation is provided and payment made.
Individual Application Fees = $25 for APTA/OPTA Members / $40 for non-members.
The Ohio Physical Therapy Association, through the Continuing Education Committee, is an entity authorized by the Physical Therapy Section of the Ohio Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, and Athletic Trainer's Board (hereafter referred to as the PT Section of the OT, PT, AT Board) to review and approve continuing education courses, programs and activities that contribute to the growth of a participant's professional competence in the practice of physical therapy. Refer to Section 4755.53 (C) of the Ohio Revised Code.
Continuing Education Approval Information:
Notice: Individuals do not need to submit an application to OPTA for approval in the following instances:
- Coursework completed at a CAPTE accredited Entry-Level DPT
- Coursework completed during a Transitional DPT program
- Service as an APTA PT/PTA Credentialed Clinical Instructor (CI) - Click here for more information on calculating CEUs for Clinical Instruction
- Service as a mentor in an APTA credentialed residency / fellowship program
- Passing the following specialty examinations will qualify for twenty-four contact hours of CE in the year the examination is taken:
- NEW! Effective May 30, 2019 - per 4755-23-08(G)(2) of the newly revised Ohio Practice Act, renewal of certification of a specialty through ABPTS will qualify for six contact hours of continuing education in the year it is given.
- NEW! Effective May 30, 2019 - per 4755-23-08(G)(7) of the newly revised Ohio Practice Act, volunteer services to indigent and uninsured persons is eligible for up to six CEUs for PTs and up to three CEUs for PTAs per each renewal cycle. Read this section for details.
- NEW! Effective May 30, 2019 - per 4755-23-08(G)(8) of the newly revised Ohio Practice Act, completion of a renewal jurisprudence module will qualify for two CEUs. The renewal jurisprudence module is currently being developed; the OTPTAT Board will send a notice to all license holders when the module is available.
Information for Course Sponsors:
Sponsor Application Fees (based on number of contact hours in the course)
- 1-3 CEUs = $100
- 3.25-7 CEUs = $150
- 7.25-12 CEUs = $175
- 12.25-20 CEUs = $200
- 20.25 or more CEUs = $225
Ohio-approved Course Listing:
*Is my course Ohio-approved? Click here for a list of Ohio-approved courses + approval numbers.
Have More Questions?
LICENSE RENEWAL: For questions pertaining to the renewal process, renewal requirements, audit process or address changes, contact the OTPTAT Licensure Board at (614) 466-3774.
For PTs who must renew their license prior to Jan. 31, 2020 - the online eLicense renewal portal will open Nov. 2, 2019. You will
receive an email from the OTPTAT Licensure Board with renewal instructions.
CONTINUING EDUCATION: For CE related questions, i.e to see if a course has been approved or denied, contact the Ohio Physical Therapy Association at (614) 855-4109 or email@example.com. To check the status of your application, please sign in to the CE Application portal.
Continuing Education Resources: