CLICK HERE to access the Online Portal for CE Applications
All applications must now be submitted using the online portal. We have implemented a paperless system to provide enhanced security for our customers and to conserve valuable resources.
Please note: The Renew Application feature can only be utilized for sponsor applications that remain EXACTLY the same. Applications containing outdated information or that require "follow up" will be deemed ineligible for this service and will be returned to the sponsor to be re-submitted at the bottom of the queue.
Recent Changes to the CE Policies and Procedure Manual (adopted May 2020):
Amend Section B, 2.6
Verification of attendance: The
mechanism for providing verification of a participant's attendance and
completion of the CE Course or educational activity. A sign-in sheet or
electronic scanning are acceptable for on-site courses. For home study courses, a separate and
distinct method of attendance tracking is required. Examples include: an attestation of course
completion, embedded questioning within home study materials, an inability to
fast forward through online content, inability to take the post-test prior to
reviewing the materials, etc.
NEW Section B, 2.8.1
Certificate of completion: The certificate should contain a course title, date of completion, attendee's name, number of CEUs/approval number, and signature of the sponsor. If the certificate submitted is a sample certificate, it can be blank but clearly marked sample and formatted to show that the information listed above will be included on the final certificate.
NEW Section D, 2.2.3
Incomplete applications: If an application is denied due to non-response after more than 30 days after receiving two requests by the reviewer for more information per policy 2.2.1. and 2.2.2., the application is permanently closed and not eligible for the appeal process. If the applicant wants further consideration of the course, a new application must be submitted, and a new application fee paid.
Amend Section G, 1.8
Denial of applications - reasons why applications can be denied: Duplicate application, or an individual application with a current sponsor approval number or an individual application where the sponsor's course has been denied.
Information for Ohio PTs and PTAs:
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING REGARDING LICENSE RENEWAL:
1) PTs require 24 CEUs and PTAs require 12 CEUs, both in a two-year renewal period.
2) Courses used for license renewal must have Ohio approval numbers. Check for Ohio approval numbers and course expiration dates prior to taking a course.
3) You can take MORE than the required number of courses, but only courses with Ohio approval numbers may be used for license renewal.
4) Companies and other associations choose whether or not to submit a course for approval in Ohio. OPTA only reviews what is submitted.
5) Please note that due to the high standards for license renewal, Ohio does NOT have CE reciprocity with any other state.
6) The application review/approval process may take up to 60 days to complete; please plan your application(s) accordingly. Incomplete applications will be delayed until all necessary documentation is provided and payment made.
Individual Application Fees = $25 for APTA/OPTA Members / $40 for non-members.
The Ohio Physical Therapy Association, through the Continuing Education Committee, is an entity authorized by the Physical Therapy Section of the Ohio Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, and Athletic Trainer's Board (hereafter referred to as the PT Section of the OT, PT, AT Board) to review and approve continuing education courses, programs and activities that contribute to the growth of a participant's professional competence in the practice of physical therapy. Refer to Section 4755.53 (C) of the Ohio Revised Code.
Continuing Education Approval Information:
Notice: Individuals do not need to submit an application to OPTA for approval in the following instances:
- Coursework completed at a CAPTE accredited Entry-Level DPT
- Coursework completed during a Transitional DPT program
- Service as an APTA PT/PTA Credentialed Clinical Instructor (CI) - Click here for more information on calculating CEUs for Clinical Instruction
- Service as a mentor in an APTA credentialed residency / fellowship program
- Passing the following specialty examinations will qualify for twenty-four contact hours of CE in the year the examination is taken:
- Renewal of a certification of a specialty through ABPTS will qualify for six contact hours of continuing education in the year it is given.
- Volunteer services to indigent and uninsured persons is eligible for up to six CEUs for PTs and up to three CEUs for PTAs per each renewal cycle.
- Completion of an ethics jurisprudence assessment module (JAM) will qualify for two CEUs. The JAM will be required for PTs starting with the 2022 license renewal; required for PTAs starting with the 2023 license renewal. To learn more information about the JAM, visit the FSBPT website.
Information for Course Sponsors:
Sponsor Application Fees (based on number of contact hours in the course)
- 1-3 CEUs = $100
- 3.25-7 CEUs = $150
- 7.25-12 CEUs = $175
- 12.25-20 CEUs = $200
- 20.25 or more CEUs = $225
Ohio-approved Course Listing:
*Is my course Ohio-approved? Click here for a list of Ohio-approved courses + approval numbers.
Have More Questions?
LICENSE RENEWAL: For questions pertaining to the renewal process, renewal requirements, audit process or address changes, contact the OTPTAT Board at (614) 466-3774.
For PTAs who must renew their license prior to Jan. 31, 2021 - the online eLicense renewal portal will open in Nov. 2020. You will receive an email from the OTPTAT Board with renewal instructions.
CONTINUING EDUCATION: For CE related questions, i.e to see if a course has been approved or denied, contact the Ohio Physical Therapy Association at (614) 855-4109 or email@example.com. To check the status of your application, please sign in to the CE Application portal.
Continuing Education Resources: